As a publisher, you know how important it is to monetize your content effectively.
Google Ad Exchange, better known as Google AdX, is a powerful platform that can help you achieve this goal. It offers an efficient way to sell your ad inventory and maximize revenue.
In this comprehensive guide, we will delve deep into what Google AdX is, how it works, and how to access it.
What Is Google AdX?
Google AdX is a real-time programmatic marketplace where publishers can sell their ad inventory to advertisers through an auction-based system.
The platform is designed to help publishers get the maximum value for their ad inventory by connecting them with a range of demand sources, including ad networks, agencies, and demand-side platforms (DSPs).
AdX uses real-time bidding (RTB) technology to ensure that publishers receive the highest possible price for their ad space. The system works by conducting an auction in real-time every time a user loads a web page, with advertisers competing for ad space.
Google AdX vs Google AdSense: What’s the Difference?
Google AdSense is an automated marketplace that caters to bloggers and smaller websites. After getting approved by Google, all you need to do is place a simple tag on your website.
However, AdSense heavily favors advertisers, severely limiting your control over their ads. Advertisers are given the lowest-priced impressions, leaving you with minimal earnings. AdSense also takes a very high revenue share fee of 32%, leaving you with only 68% of the profits.
In contrast, Google AdX is a more sophisticated and premium marketplace, catering to high-end advertisers and large publishers.
AdX offers much higher CPM bids that pay for impressions, which allows you to manage your programmatic ad sales with greater flexibility. Unlike AdSense, AdX is an open marketplace that enables you to control your ad inventory and empowers you to increase the bids you receive.
You can read more here about the differences between AdX and AdSense.
Benefits of Google AdX for Publishers
Google AdX comes with many benefits for publishers:
With Google AdX, you have access to a vast pool of demand sources, and have the ability to manually add your own demand sources as well. This competition ensures that you receive the highest possible price for their ad inventory, resulting in increased revenue.
AdX provides you with a high degree of control over your ad inventory. You can set floor prices to ensure that your ad space is sold at a minimum price. You can also block certain advertisers from bidding on your ad inventory.
This control allows you to maintain the quality of your website and ensure that your users have a positive experience.
Access to Google’s Premium Advertiser Base
By using Google AdX, you gain access to a vast pool of premium advertisers not available on AdSense. This access allows you to reach new audiences and monetize your ad inventory more effectively.
How to Join Google AdX
There are two ways you can get an AdX account: by having a large enough website, or through a licensed partner.
Getting Your Own AdX Account
When visiting the AdX official website you won’t find a sign-up button. There’s no public way to apply for AdX. In fact, Google invites only very big websites to participate directly in the premium exchange.
To be eligible for your own AdX account, your website needs to have a significant amount of traffic. While Google doesn’t provide an official minimum threshold of monthly pageviews, it’s in the millions – and not just one, two, or even five million.
For the majority of publishers, including medium and larger websites, the only way to join AdX is through a Google licensed partner.
Getting AdX Through a Google Partner
Google grants a limited number of companies a special license that enables them to assist publishers connect to AdX. The most notable of these companies are Google Certified Publishers Partners, or GCPP.
As a publisher, you can apply for AdX by contacting one of these Google partners.
However, you still need to ensure that your website meets the eligibility criteria, including having high-quality, original content and generating substantial organic traffic.
Joining Google AdX with Adnimation
As a GCPP, we at Adnimation help our publishers join Google AdX and proactively manage more than 1,000 websites using proprietary technology and a team of experts.
We understand that AdX is a marketplace, and that merely connecting your website to the exchange is not enough to yield long-term benefits. As a publisher, you need to have your ad sales proactively managed on the exchange.
So, if you’re looking to apply for Google AdX today, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team.